Today Cole and I drove down to Seattle for another Lego Club meeting. We made a grand day of it.
Lego Club meeting.
Exploring Bellevue Square, so many beautiful things for the beautiful people.
Whole Foods for lunch and some Bluegrass.
Pacific Science Center
Facing Mars Exhibit
Roving Mars IMAX film
Dick's Drive-In for dinner
phew!
We started the day at 6 AM after Cole stayed up past 10 PM the night before (not good). He was in good spirits for the drive though - no sisters to argue with. We arrived with time to spare so Cole could change out of his pj's thank goodness.
Cole was the smallest builder at the event.
They got their t-shirts and listened to their building assignment.
They were to build Max's clubhouse. This was a nice change. They were to work cooperatively in groups of 3 and were specifically told they should avoid conflict based themes. They were asked to imagine what sort of "clubhouse" they would like - children imagined a treehouse, a clubhouse that flew like a plane, an underwater clubhouse, etc. Everyone received a rectangular building plate and split up into groups to work.
Cole and his lego pals decided to build a three story clubhouse. They worked independently on their level of the clubhouse and then, with a little input from the LEGO facilitator, put the levels together.
Max's clubhouse from the front.
From another angle.
Cole with one of his building pals.
I'd say this was the most successful building event he's participated in. He's not a master LEGO builder, he likes the stories and the people. My hope is that he'll be more spatially capable than I am. I still remember the humiliation of failing miserably on the spatial part of the SAT. I think that is part of my push for puzzles and building toys.
As a fun surprise all the kids got a Max mini-figure along with the bag-o-miscellaneous-lego.
Whoa-nelly. Such excitement. Then on to find something sister might like since she didn't get to come along on our adventure. Hello Kitty. Does she love it, do you have to ask?
We lucked out at Whole Foods. While eating our convenient pseudo take out lunch we were serenaded by Dysfunction Junction, a Seattle bluegrass band. Say what you will about Whole Foods, I'm likely to agree, but I love that store.
Next off to the Science Center for the Mars exhibit. We didn't see everything I'd like since it was so crowded. There was a totally cool stop motion film making kiosk that we got to play with for a bit.
We also viewed Roving Mars and this was a spectacular film.
Finally, a match of tic-tac-toe with the resident robot.
I never knew but it seems this robot cheats. We saw it happen while waiting for Cole's turn. The robot didn't set the piece down where it had been instructed, resulting in a loss for the player!
After a long day we headed north, stopping at an old haunt for a deluxe and fry. It's a tradition!
No comments:
Post a Comment