Saturday, June 7, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

Alex is back to work and on nights this week. It's also been very dreary and raining much of the week. This makes for a very antsy Cole. Before Audrey was born, it was comparatively easy to keep Cole engaged with trips to the science center, park, swimming pool etc. But Audrey needs 2 naps a day and it's hard to fit anything in between the hours of 11:30 and 1:30. Maybe 100 years ago I'd have sent him out to milk the cows or fetch firewood but ... alas we've no meaningful work around the house that doesn't require full parental support and supervision.

Something's got to give and that is Audrey's naps. Poor tired girl. She just won't sleep on the go even though she is clearly exhausted.

We went to the zoo twice this week. It's not as much fun for Audrey as it is for Cole since she's confined to the stroller most of the trip.

Cole loves everything about the zoo. I'm not a big fan of zoos, I feel sad for the animals. Woodland Park zoo is a relaxing semi-natural oasis in the middle of the city though and for that reason I love it there too.

We spent a lot of time in the farm area. Cole is listening to a cow's heartbeat in this photo. The educational sign lets them compare the heartbeat of a cow, sheep, rabbit and human. He was also totally fascinated by the butter churn and fake cow with udders that you can "milk".



We went specifically to see the new flamingo exhibit.



Brother and Sister.



This giraffe was trying desperately to reach the leaves above his head.



Mama Lion.



Viewing the lions.



Cole goofin' while showing off his USA and Canada puzzle.



I tried something different at bedtime today. We went for a walk/bike ride after dinner, had something else to eat, then did the bedtime routine. He wasn't in bed until 8:30 BUT he was asleep by 9. Yesterday I was tearing my hair out trying to get him to fall asleep.

No comments: