On quiet days (weekdays) at the center, Cole can easily occupy himself in the Gemini 11 capsule model for 10-15 minutes listening to the countdown, 10, 9, 8, 7 ... pushing buttons, and flipping switches.

No Science Center trip is complete without a visit to the "fly man".

When Cole was 2-2 1/2, he was obsessed with the fly man (Cole named him). There is a red button to push outside the cage that makes it move and talk. I forget the genesis of the Fly Man song but I was obliged to sing it frequently and with gusto especially on car rides.
Oh big fly man, yes big fly man
You are a great big fly
You've got claws for hands,
an icky icky mouth
and you wear a white lab coat
you've got multifaceted eyes
big black boots and bristly hair
The highlight of the trip was visiting the Tropical Butterfly House. We've gone at least two other times that I remember but I've never seen him focus the way he did yesterday. He didn't just swiftly walk the pathway and want to leave. He stopped and looked at the butterflies feeding on fruit and even grabbed an identification guide on his own. He discovered that he was looking at Owl Butterflies (he pointed to the picture and I read the name to him). He was very careful not to touch them, moved slowly, and talked quietly. I was very proud.
Cole holding a tiny flower in the palm of his hand to "feed the butterfly".
No comments:
Post a Comment